For more than one hundred years at the center of Nancy, the Excelsior has delighted palates and pupils. The glorious symbol of the legendary great cafes of the «Belle Époque», the brasserie inaugurated during a carnival in 1911 remains the splendid witness of a past century.
When the Excelsior came into existence at the initiative of Louis Moreau, brewer from Vézelise, the Est Republicain immediately hailed “the opening of a new and splendid public institution” called upon right away to «provide a brilliant and fruitful career».
But the great brasserie that established itself in the heart of the effervescent neighborhood around the train station would be much more than a safe harbor for passers by and travelers seeking relaxation, luxury, calm and pleasure: right from its creation, the Excelsior would become one of the most distinguished masterpieces of the Ecole de Nancy. And under its typical Viennese Art Nouveau exterior facade, the immense 25 by 12 meter room entrusted to architects Lucien Weissemburger and Alexandre Mienville immediately offered a setting for the greatest talents of the Belle Époque.
The bouquets of ferns attached to the ceiling are the work of sculptors Galetier and Burtin who worked on the moulding and beams. Adapted to the walls of the Excelsior, all of the solid mahogany furniture was designed in the Ateliers Majorelle. Three hundred lamps engraved copper chandeliers and wall sconces by Daum infuse the room with its harmonious ivory color. A few years later, under an Art Deco influence, the bannister inspired by artistic ironworker Jean Prouvé was delivered.
Spared by wars and bombings, protected by the people of Nancy who were concerned with preserving beauty, the brasserie was not subject to any of the changes imposed on the neighborhood after the Second World War, and restoration work at the end of the 80s even returned its original splendor.